Sunday, May 15, 2011

Art Show Week 7

The art show that I attended this week was to see Kori Newkirk show his art work.  His art work is that he turns everyday items into amazing art pieces. His work mainly focuses on race, gender, and masculinity. He also focuses on many other ideas as well. This makes me feel good because I like how he uses these ideas in his art work. if I were to become an artist, I think gender and race would be one of my major focuses as well. He showed us an art piece of the logo of Cadillac. He told us his families history with Cadillac’s and what they mean to him. When he was growing up, most of his family had Cadillac’s.  Another art piece was these giant hair combs and were in a circle and it looked like a giant crown from a distance. This was a cool piece because it has a lot of different meanings to it. He explained some like it could represent like a jail from the inside but the one I like was that it looked like a crown. He also showed us some self portraits he made. One piece that left me speechless was about curtains made of beads and they had a design. They were absolutely beautiful and he said they take along tome to create. This art show was completely amazing and so was the art pieces shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment