Friday, April 8, 2011

Reading Response: Marcel Duchamp

This weeks reading was based on the famous artist Marcel Dumchamp. Marcel Duchamp grew up in Europe and later came to the United States to promote his artwork. From the reading, I realized that most of his work was about the Modern Era.Marcel Dumchamp’s work came from within him and he didn’t care what people thought about it. One piece that brought anger to many people was a painting he made about a naked lady walking down some stairs. To me, I thought the visitors were taking it too far to get mad. I wouldn’t have been mad for such amazing art work.  I really admire the way Marcel Duchamp’s art work was all original and that he never copied anyone else’s ideas. This reading also disappointed me because I read that Marcel Duchamp gave up art for chess. This brought up a lot of questions like “was he happy being an artist?” and “why chess?”. Also the way he made a second identity to hide from problems he had. This made me think that he couldn’t stand up for himself and had to hide from the rest of society.                                                                                                                  Marcel Duchamp was a successful artist and his work is featured in many museums. Even though he had personal problems like having two wives, he still came out on top and didn’t let criticism slow him down. This is why I admire the work of Marcel Duchamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment