Saturday, April 2, 2011

Response to Chapters 1 and 2

When reading chapter 1 of the Comics textbook, I found that the main point that author makes is the meaning of comics and how objects can have comics embedded within them. The author defines the definition of comics and shows how people think about them. My definition of comics is those colorful books that featured superheroes like Batman, Spiderman, and X-men. When reading the text I knew I was wrong with my definition because I went on to read about famous Comic Artists and their definition of Comics. I was also surprised because I saw that comics appear in objects I didn’t know had comics like a film or ancient drawings. The film is just separate pictures that make a movie while the ancient drawings are pictures that tell a story to the viewer. What I got from this was that the author tells us that simple things can be comics as long as they tell a story. Overall this chapter was really interesting because it helped me better define a comic.
In Chapter 2, the main idea was that our mind can see objects and easily compare them to ideas we know. One thing that I found interesting was the idea that we can see ourselves in a cartoon. This is true because I do that all the time I see a cartoon. I try to picture myself as one of the characters and this is why our society prefers cartoons because they have fewer features to focus on. The author also talks about how our mind can see simple shapes and automatically turn them into a figure. I am always seeing figures with simple shapes all around me. Another thing the author talks about is how you only need a writer and artists to make a comic and how famous artists used icons in their artwork. Overall this chapter was filled with good information about how comics our mind and comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment